Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Blessing of Being Overlooked

Have you ever spent a considerable amount of time in one place; doing a good job, being faithful, working as unto the Lord, and feeling overlooked. Have you ever felt like a spectator, not fully participating in the game of life, just standing on the sidelines watching as cliques segue into networking, and networking into opportunities that constantly pass you by? Have you ever gone through all this, feeling overlooked ending each day knowing that God has gifted you for something and this aint it. Have you ever asked, when God when? Why them and not me? Why I am I constantly being overlooked? You have?!?!?! Good.




This is a scenario that plays itself out in families, corporations, and churches every day. As miserable as it can feel, there's a blessing in being overlooked. One fella I know of had a job that was apparently beneath his older brothers, so he did the job by himself. Even his earthly father overlooked him. Huh? Yes I'm talking about David. When Samuel arrived to anoint the new King of Israel he invited Jesse "and his sons" to a sacrifice, but Jesse didn't bother to send for David. He overlooked him.




Maybe he didn't know that David had killed a Lion because he overlooked him. Maybe he didn't know how David killed a bear because he overlooked him. Maybe he didn't realize how good a shepherd David was because many times, when you're good at something, no one notices how good you are until you mess-up are leave. You're good, but overlooked.




While David was keeping the sheep God was keeping him. When David the shepherd wondered if anyone cared about him, the Lord spoke up and said I am your shepherd, you shall not want. When David felt like everyone else was prospering and even asked, "Lord, how are they increased that trouble me", God spoke to him and inspired him to WRITE, "thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head", and then he WROTE, "the LORD sustained me", and then he WROTE "I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people". He was even inspired to WRITE to his enemies, "know that the LORD hath set apart him that is godly for himself: the LORD will hear when I call unto him."




David was called in from the field and anointed in front of his father, brothers, and anyone else that overlooked him, then ended up right back in the field with the sheep, possibly wondering what the anointing was for if he was going to be hanging out with sheep. But, when the appointed time came, God overlooked everyone that had overlooked David and plucked him out of the fields because he knew him. All that time being overlooked was time spent drawing closer to God. So close that he would be called a man after God's own heart.




Obviously the gift and the anointing were (are) not enough. Humility that only comes from an intimate relationship with God, that's strengthened by relying on him, in Faith, through unpleasant and seemingly unfair circumstances, must first be developed. This type of relationship can't be developed in cliques, but in fact can only be developed when you dare to do you. No matter how un-cool, no matter how lonely, no matter how long the odds of success, no matter who misunderstands, and no matter how overlooked. It's a blessing to be overlooked by man. It means God has you right where he needs you......for now.




"There's trouble ahead when you live only for the approval of others, saying what flatters them, doing what indulges them. Popularity contests are not truth contests - look how many scoundrel preachers were approved by your ancestors! Your task is to be true, not popular.
Luke 6:26 (The Message Bible)

21 comments:

Somebodies Friend said...

What a powerful piece, thank you!

Shanita Waters said...

AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME post. This is so timely too. When I find myself feeling overlookedI take comfort in knowing that God sees all and knows all. It's not in vain. Stay encouraged and whatever you do, don't feel overlooked on your "blog ministry". You are writing words of encouragement that touches the right people at the God ordained time.

Blessings!
Shanita

Keith said...

This was awesome brother. David has always been my favorite charactor in the Bible.. He was a King, He was an adventurer, he was a lover..and he was a fugitive..A classic Hero..His life was filled with drama..and you just retold his story and made it relevant to the everyday situation...I think you have missed your calling Brother Minister SLC-lolol.I loved this.

Jimmy said...

This is just what I needed to read today...

Thank you!

A Free Spirit Butterfly said...

I have felt like that and then it passes, because if I weren't in this useless place (work) I wouldn't have met you. It was here that I learned about blogging which lead me to many friendships that I treasure and wouldn't trade the lessons I'm learninng for a promotion (smile)

The butterfly!

Shanita Waters said...

Happy New Year, Brother! I haven't heard (read) from you in a while so I just wanted to stop by and say hello.

Blessings!
Shanita

Standing Able said...

I have often felt like I was overlooked and then God reminds me that He loves and adores me and that is all that matters! You too are loved and adored by your blog family and your words are encouraging and they strengthen our faith. Continue, Continue, Continue!

Love Ya,
Stacye

Unknown said...

This message was a blessing to me. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU for this. I sometimes feel it's an epidemic. I'm in the entertainment industry and even when the work is successful, awarded, praised, I'm omitted. Even work I write gets favourable credit for someone else. So this made me feel a bit better.

Anonymous said...

Man, this is what I have been feeling lately. But most of my life I have been overlooked by so many people. And this is truth about how the people we always overlook, are the ones that will rule high above all once it is their time.

Anonymous said...

This is exactly how I've been feeling lately. Overlooked in the things of God. I don't know who I am in Christ and the enemy has a field day with me because of it. I bless God for leading me to your blog, 6 years after it was written. Thank you brother...this blessed me so

Kaye-Chereese said...

This is an amazing post!! Thank you so much for this!! We all go through sessions of this, but I am thankful for God's favour and the affirmation that comes from Him!!
www.wtrlittlerose.com
littlerose.wordpress.com

Buhle said...

And this right here just lifted me and reminded me of God's goodness. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I definitely needed to read this post today. Thank you for your ministry.

Unknown said...

This is so wonderful I get overlooked all the time...I felt sad about it but I read this it made me understand why God put you certain situations I thank you for this you really hit the nail with this one 🤗🤗

Anonymous said...

thank you thank you thank you for this post. Saved me from despair. I've been in this season for a long time. It's nice to have a reminder of WHY we go through what we do especially when it doesn't make sense.

Anonymous said...

My goodness, everything is spot-on. God has placed this message in your heart for us to get a better understanding & know it's not in vain. It's a struggle to deal with this & accept it as part of the Almighty's plan. I pray that everyone who read this blog will receive prosperity, hope, strength & patience to wait & trust in the Lord's time. I truly needed this; an honest & wise answer. Many thanks and I look forward to more enlightening information.

Unknown said...

Thank you, brother. I needed to hear a word of encouragement today. I must learn to wait and trust God. He knows what he is doing.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Pulled over from driving as just cried! Gods peace swarmed over me! The overlook is necessary.

Anonymous said...

This word still speaks from the time this blog was created !😭

Anonymous said...

Very encouraging!